The 2020 Census is here – take it today so you are counted. You can complete the census online through October 31st.
This is the first time that the census is available to be filled out online, making it easier than ever before. Take the 2020 Census here!
In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s clear how important it is that we are all counted.
Participating in the census is in everyone’s best interest because it helps community leaders and elected officials plan for school class sizes, affordable housing initiatives, health care facilities, public transit, and the placement of grocery stores. This is about more than getting an accurate count of people in a certain area – it also determines how many representatives NYS will have in Congress.
The “safest” way to do the census is on your own!
Without leaving home, you can take about 10 minutes now to submit a response on behalf of your household!
SCAMS, MYTHS, AND MISINFORMATION
Census Scam Warning Signs:
- You get an email claiming to be from the Census Bureau. The agency will almost always contact by mail.
- A supposed census agent asks you for money or financial data. The Census Bureau will never ask for this information.
- A supposed census agent threatens you with arrest. Taking part in the census is required by law, but you can’t be imprisoned.
- Read more tips on how to spot census scams here.
- Hearing something that doesn’t seem right or see misinformation being spread? Report it here.
- Worried about the citizenship question? Learn more here.
- Census data collected are strictly confidential under federal law. Answers provided are confidential & cannot be used by any government agency or court. The Census will not ask a citizenship question. The US Constitution requires a fair & accurate count of every person living in the US. Learn more here.
At United Way, we understand the importance of a fair and accurate count. There’s a lot at stake, especially for many of the people we serve who are often from populations most at risk of being undercounted. We are deeply involved in this work because we recognize that a lack of needed federal funds will compound the needs that our communities face.
Today, our role is even more important than ever. We know that solving the health and economic crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic means that people need to be civically engaged, policymakers must take action that will help workers, children and families, and we need an accurate census count to determine where resources are needed the most.
This is the time to get involved. Click here to learn how you can get involved and support the 2020 Census. We invite every person in every community to join us by pledging to complete the census!