Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program
Taxes. Done Easy.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program provides free tax help to low and moderate income individuals and families. Assistance in tax preparation can be done free with the help of reliable tax professionals.
How do I qualify for free income tax services?
To qualify, your household income must be $66,000 or less and you have worked and lived only in New York State and you must not have rental property income. Additionally, if you are self-employed, you no reported loss, no employees and business expenses under $10,000.
How do I make an appointment?
By calling 211 or 1-800-901-2180, you will be connected to one of our specialists who will be able to set you up for a free appointment.
Sites are currently closed for the tax season.
What do I need to bring to my scheduled appointment?
- Picture ID’s for you and your spouse. Your spouse must be present at the appointment
- Social Security Card and birthday for each family member
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked
- All 1099 forms that you have received
- Be prepared to discuss Health Insurance Coverage
- Copy of last year’s income tax return
- Childcare provider’s name, address and tax ID number, if applicable
- Bank account number for direct deposit
- If self-employed, bring business records for income and expenses
- Department of Social Services
- Family Enrichment Network
- Binghamton University