Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program
Taxes. Done Easy.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program provides free tax help to low and moderate-income individuals and families. Assistance in tax preparation can be done free with the help of reliable tax professionals.
New This Year!
COVID-19 safety protocols have been implemented to ensure social distancing and limited contact with tax preparers. Intake appointments will be scheduled and tax information will be gathered at intake appointments. IRS Specialists will prepare tax returns that will be processed at a later date. Taxpayers will be given a scheduled day and time to return to the VITA site to pick up their copy of their income tax returns and tax information.
How do I qualify for free income tax services?
How do I make an appointment?
By calling 211 or 1-800-901-2180, you will be connected to one of our specialists who will be able to set you up for a free, socially-distanced intake appointment.
We are now taking appointments, January 27, 2021 – April 13, 2021
What do I need to bring to my scheduled appointment?
- Picture ID’s for you and your spouse. Your spouse must be present at the appointment
- Social Security Card and birthday for each family member
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked
- All 1099 forms that you have received
- Be prepared to discuss Health Insurance Coverage
- Copy of last year’s income tax return
- Childcare provider’s name, address and tax ID number, if applicable
- Bank account number for direct deposit
- If self-employed, bring business records for income and expenses
Important Information for 2021
- COVID-19 safety protocols are in place and there will be limited contact with tax preparers. Due to this, tax returns will not be processed on the same day. Intake appointments will be scheduled, and tax information will be gathered at these appointments. The tax returns will be processed at a later date. Taxpayers will be given a scheduled day and time to return to the VITA site to pick up their copy of their income tax returns and tax information.
- Masks must be worn at all times.
- If you received unemployment in 2020, you must go to your online account to print out the 1099G form for your income tax return. The Department of Labor will not mail the form. Unemployment income is taxable income for both the Federal and New York State income tax returns. If you have any questions regarding the form, contact the Department of Labor.
- Interpreters are not guaranteed. Please bring one with you if possible.
Taxpayers also have the option of filing taxes for free for income up to $66,000 at www.MyFreeTaxes.com
Department of Social Services