Marketing & Communications Intern
Marketing & Communications Intern
Marketing & Communications Director
Part-Time (approximately 28 hours per week)
Please send cover letter and resume to:
United Way of Broome County, Inc.
Finance PO Box 550
Binghamton, NY 13902
POSITION SUMMARY STATEMENT
United Way of Broome County seeks a dynamic, self-starter to assist marketing and communications efforts. The internship provides an opportunity to gain valuable learning and working experience at a leading nonprofit organization. This opportunity is open to current students of a college program. The intern is expected to demonstrate a keen interest in nonprofits, as well as have marketing abilities, proficiency with technology, attention to detail, flexibility in handling multiple projects, and ability to sometimes handle and protect confidential information.
PRIMARY PROJECTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This internship will run from early September 2018 – early December 2018.
- Understand the mission and objectives of United Way of Broome County
- Attend meetings on fundraising and project goals and take notes at those meetings
- Provide editing support for donor and prospect communications
- Update and maintain United Way of Broome County’s social media presence, including scheduling updates
- Assist in planning, writing and organizing monthly eNewsletter Draft, distribute and pitch news releases, media alerts and other stories
- Collect data from marketing campaigns
- Perform market analysis and research
- Support the marketing team in daily administrative tasks
- Assist in development and copyediting of content for promotional materials
- Prepare promotional presentations
- Help distribute marketing materials
- Assist in organization of marketing events
- Collaborating with staff on new ideas, directions, and venues for marketing and communications
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
Education and Experience Required
The internship opportunity is open to current students of college programs. Background or interest in nonprofits, fundraising, or other relevant fields. Student pursuing Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, communication or a related field and experience in graphic design, video or any related field.
- Firm grasp of available tools and platforms in the social media space
- Completed or working toward a college degree, preferably in a related field
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Programs
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite desired
- An effective communicator, both written and oral
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with press and community contacts
- Self-motivated, good organizational skills, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, multi-task & meet deadlines
- Enthusiasm for the mission of United Way and the people we serve
- Leadership potential
- Ability to learn other software programs
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- American citizen or clearance with affiliated college’s international program
- Verbal and written communication skills to include the ability to present ideas clearly and concisely, engage others, and take into consideration the perspectives of others.
Sitting, Standing, Lifting, etc.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects.