At United Way of Broome County, Financial Stability is one of the three strategic priorities that guide the change we work to create every day. With the right education and resources, individuals and families can have the earnings, income, and assets to be financially stable. Following this guiding principle, United Way of Broome County and the 211 Susquehanna River Region continue the partnership with the Broome County Department of Social Services to offer the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program to our community.
VITA utilizes the skills of IRS-certified volunteers to prepare free basic income tax returns for households with incomes less than $66,000. If you qualify and are interested in free tax assistance, you are encouraged to call 211 to schedule an appointment.
VITA sites will be hosting prescheduled appointments from February 7 through April 12, 2022.
I have an appointment, now what? Here’s a list of items to bring to your appointment:
- Picture IDs for you and your spouse. Your spouse must be present at the appointment
- Social Security Card and birthday for each family member
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked
- All 1099 forms that you have received
- Be prepared to discuss Health Insurance Coverage
- Copy of last year’s income tax return
- Childcare provider’s name, address, and tax ID number, if applicable
- Bank account number for direct deposit
- If self-employed, bring business records for income and expenses
United Way of Broome County has also partnered with MyFreeTaxes to provide free online tax filing for individuals or households whose income is less than $73,000. You can easily file your taxes using MyFreeTaxes.com from your mobile phone, tablet, or computer. The platform guides you through the process to guarantee you get your maximum refund.
In 2021, we mobilized volunteer tax preparers to prepare over 870 returns, resulting in a total of $1,434,371 in tax refunds to local individuals and families, with an additional estimated savings of over $263,100 in tax preparation costs to participants (based on IRS estimates).
If you want to continue to support the great work being done locally, consider donating to the United Way of Broome County’s Annual Community Campaign. 100% of your donation goes directly to local projects and programs that make strategic impact in our community.