At this point in the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, most of us have been asked to practice social distancing—that is, stay home and far away from each other. And it’s stressful.
Here are 7 ways you can increase your positivity, lower your stress, and help your health during this time.
1. Recognize a positive event each day
2. Savor that positive event – write it in a journal or tell share it with someone! (Technology is amazing – video chat is easier than ever!)
3. Start a daily gratitude journal
4. List a personal strength each day, note how you used that strength in helping others or positively impacting your own life
5. Set an attainable goal each day and note your progress
6. Small acts of kindness have a BIG impact on positive emotion. Practice a small act of kindness each day, and don’t be afraid to get creative!
7. Practice mindfulness daily – try a 10-minute breathing exercise
Remember, we are in this together. We can stop the spread of this virus.
Social Distancing FAQs
Why are we doing this?
Social distancing reduces the chances of spreading this virus. If we weren’t to do this, too many people would be sick at one time, and the healthcare system would not be able to handle the number of patients it would be seeing. An effective simulation of social distancing and its importance can be found here.
Why is this important?
People over the age of 60 are particularly vulnerable to severe or fatal infection due to the coronavirus. People with preexisting health conditions are also more vulnerable. The younger demographic may carry the virus without showing symptoms, potentially passing it along to those more susceptible.