With another tax season complete, United Way of Broome County and the Broome Department of Social Services (DSS) is pleased to announce that our VITA tax sites returned over $900,000 in tax refunds to local residents. The VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance | Free Tax Preparation) program provides free tax preparation for low- to mid-income households, with a special focus on tax credits often unclaimed by this population. VITA is the most successful antipoverty program operated by the IRS. This past tax season, over 350 households turned to United Way and DSS for assistance; in total, $915,587 in tax refunds were processed, with an additional estimated savings of over $97,000 in tax prep costs to participants (based on IRS estimates).
TO QUALIFY FOR FREE INCOME TAX SERVICES:
- Your household income was $60,000 or less and
- Worked and lived only in New York State and
- No rental property income and
- If self-employed, no reported loss, no employees and business expenses under $10,000
CLOSED FOR 2017
BRING THE FOLLOWING TO YOUR SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT:
- Picture ID's for you and your spouse. Your spouse must be present at the appointment.
- Social Security Card and birthday for each family member.
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked.
- All 1099 forms that you have received.
- Be prepared to discuss Health Insurance Coverage.
- Copy of last year's income tax return.
- Childcare provider's name, address and tax ID number, if applicable.
- Bank account number for direct deposit.
- If self-employed, bring business records for income and expenses.
- The PATH Act (New Federal Law), will delay tax refunds for those claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). Refunds are unavailable before February 15th, with no exceptions. While the IRS will begin issuing EITC and ACTC refunds on February 15th, affected taxplayers may not have access to their refunds until the week of February 27th due to processing times.
- Picture ID's and Social Security cards for taxpayer(s) and dependents are now required for new and returning clients. Sites have the right to refuse service if not available.
- VITA sites do not have access to last year's income tax return information due to a change in the tax software provided by the IRS. Please have a copy of last year's return if available. This software change may cause longer wait times at sites.
- Interpreters are not guaranteed. Please bring one with you if possible.