With tax season here, we're pleased to announce that we have once again partnered with 2-1-1 and Broome County DSS to offer free preparation services to local residents. Last year, we helped local people receive over $1.5 million dollars in tax returns; we hope to help even more people this year. If you qualify, a New York State certified tax specialist will work with you to complete your return, identify tax credits, and help maximize your refund.
TO QUALIFY FOR FREE INCOME TAX SERVICES:
- Your household income was $60,000 or less and
- Worked and lived only in New York State and
- No rental property income and
- If self-employed, no reported loss, no employees and business expenses under $10,000
Call 2-1-1 (or 1-800-901-2180) between 8am-5pm Monday through Friday starting January 16th, 2017.
Appointments will be scheduled from January 30th, 2017 through April 6th, 2017. When you call to make an appointment you will be given options for a site most convenient to you, based on availability. Dates and times will vary by location.
BRING THE FOLLOWING TO YOUR SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT:
- Picture ID's for you and your spouse. Your spouse must be present at the appointment.
- Social Security Card and birthday for each family member.
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked.
- All 1099 forms that you have received.
- Be prepared to discuss Health Insurance Coverage.
- Copy of last year's income tax return.
- Childcare provider's name, address and tax ID number, if applicable.
- Bank account number for direct deposit.
- If self-employed, bring business records for income and expenses.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR 2017:
- The PATH Act (New Federal Law), will delay tax refunds for those claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). Refunds are unavailable before February 15th, with no exceptions. While the IRS will begin issuing EITC and ACTC refunds on February 15th, affected taxplayers may not have access to their refunds until the week of February 27th due to processing times.
- Picture ID's and Social Security cards for taxpayer(s) and dependents are now required for new and returning clients. Sites have the right to refuse service if not available.
- VITA sites do not have access to last year's income tax return information due to a change in the tax software provided by the IRS. Please have a copy of last year's return if available. This software change may cause longer wait times at sites.
- Interpreters are not guaranteed. Please bring one with you if possible.