United Way advances the common good. Our focus is on Health, Education and Financial Stability. Because these are the building blocks for a good quality of life. We recruit the people and organizations from all across the community who bring the passion, expertise and resources needed to get things done. Our mission is to drive change that will have positive impact on the critical needs of our community by strategically leveraging othe collective resources of community partners.
We believe nothing is more fundamental to the quality of life in a community than good health and wellbeing. Working together we can create a stronger healthier community for everyone.
Most people will agree we need to ensure:
- All children have a healthy beginning in life;
- All people should have access to health care;
- Our neighborhoods and homes are safe and free from violence;
- Our community supports healthy eating and physical activity; and
- All people have the information and support needed to make healthy choices.
Our Work in Health
- We are a lead partner in the local Healthy Lifestyles Coalition. The goal of this coalition includes: supporting residents in obtaining access to healthy and affordable food; creating safe places to play and be active; and encouraging residents to become advocates for policy and environmental changes which promote positive health.
- We participate in several community partnerships focused on health.
- We help fund programs to advance health across the community.
We all have a stake in making sure that today’s children grow up to be productive citizens who give back to the community.
We all win when children:
- Enter school ready to succeed;
- Read proficiently by fourth grade;
- Have support transitioning into and out of middle school;
- Have support to graduate on time; and
- Are given the skills needed to be successful in college, career, and our community.
Our Work in Education
When people lack financial stability, the impact is felt throughout the community. That’s why we’re committed to helping individuals and families gain access to the resources they need to be financially stable.
We’re all better off when people have access to:
- Self-sustaining employment;
- Support during times of financial crisis;
- Personal savings and assets;
- Manageable expenses; and
- Affordable housing.
Our Work in Income
- We have partnered with the Broome County Dept. of Social Services to offer the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program which provides free tax preparation services to qualifying residents. Click Here for more information.
- We participate in several community partnerships focused on income.
- We help fund programs to advance income across the community.